Monday, June 6, 2011

Fresh, delicious, and local produce!


So the first of the month has finally come and I was able to go out and do my grocery shopping again.  My husband and I stick to a cash budget for certain things like groceries so when the money is gone, it's gone. And I usually have to get pretty creative at the end of the month using up what's left. Needless to say that when the first rolls around I am out doing my grocery shopping.

I love knowing where my food comes from and that it was picked the day I bought it and perfectly ripened the way nature intended it to be. I don't buy my produce any other way! The only exception is bananas and occasionally apples because my husband likes to take them in his lunch.

On saturday I stopped by San Diego Organic Farms here in Ramona. Saturday is the best day to go because he has the most stuff out, but he's also open on wednesdays and fridays. If you go on the other two days you can always ask him to pick stuff if he doesn't have it.

The prices are amazing!!! If you buy organic in the store you will pay 2 or 3 times more!! His vegetables and fruit taste sweeter and better than anything I've ever bought before. Imagine eating a strawberry that actually tastes like a STRAWBERRY! A shocking concept I know!!


I picked up everything you see in the picture for about $15 which I think is absolutely unbeatable for local, organic food. (I bought oregano, basil, curly leaf lettuce, red lettuce, iceberg lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, strawberries, spinach, broccoli, onions, swiss chard, a cucumber, a yellow crookneck squash, and a zucchini.) He also has beets, cabbage, herbs, and will have a lot more fruit as the summer months come.

Click here to view their info and hours.


I wash everything really good and then bag it up with a few paper towels in each and it stays fresh for a week or two. My husband enjoyed the lunch I made him too! A sandwich with veggies and fruit for sides. Yum!

1 comment: