Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Soaked Oatmeal


This is one of my favorites! I've always LOVED oatmeal, but oatmeal hasn't always loved me! I never really understood why until I realized my body couldn't digest it easily. Yes, I am one of those sensitive people. Annoying!

I had read about oatmeal in The Maker's Diet and decided to give it a shot.  The very first time I soaked my oatmeal I didn't feel terrible at the end of the day! I'm such a skeptic so I was shocked. I won't even touch oats now without soaking them first.

It's actually really simple and quick to make. It just takes a little forethought. I always try to think ahead when I'm doing dinner, or cleaning up, what I will need for the next day and if any of it will require soaking.

Here is the recipe. (This makes a little more than one serving - but me and my son share it)

Soaked Oatmeal

1/2 cup dry rolled oats
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon of yogurt, kefir, or cultured buttermilk (I like buttermilk the best)
1 tablespoon of walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup water
brown sugar, honey, raisins, fruit - topping of your choice.

1. Combine oats, 1/2 cup water, buttermilk, and walnuts in a glass mason jar. Cover, shake, and leave at room temperature overnight (minimum of 7 hours).


2. The next morning, add another 1/2 cup of water to the jar, shake, and pour into a saucepan. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. I let mine boil for about a minute and then turn it off.


3. Transfer to a bowl and add your toppings. Soooo easy and delicious!!


1 comment:

  1. It sounds AMAZING....wish I could stop by for some breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete