Friday, May 27, 2011

Soaked Whole Wheat Bread for a Breadmaker

I figured that I should probably tell you what soaking is and why I do it before I go any further.....

Did you know that whole grains are actually difficult for your body to digest? Some people don't seem to notice it as much as others do. If you ever feel bloated or crampy after eating whole grains like wheat, oats, etc. you may be more sensitive than others. Whole grains are packed with important minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, and copper. But whole grains contain phytic acid which actually binds to these minerals and prevents your intestines from absorbing them. These minerals are vital for healthy teeth and bones. Soaking also helps partially break down gluten so those who are trying to be gluten free should try soaking and see if it helps. Our bodies don't have the necessary enzymes to break down whole grains, so soaking provides beneficial bacteria, and enzymes to help break it down, making it easier to digest and absorb the vitamins and minerals.

A great resource is Healing Naturally by Bee

On to my bread recipe! I've tried a few different kinds before and none of them have come out as soft and perfect as this one. I adapted this from a recipe that I found at passionate homemaking. Her recipe is for handmade bread and I wanted to make it in my breadmaker.

Soaked Whole Wheat Bread

Yields 1 loaf

2-3/4 cups whole wheat bread flour
1/4 cup acid medium (kefir, cultured buttermilk, whey)
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup honey
3 tbl coconut oil or butter melted
1 tbl ground flaxseed (optional)

2 tbl water
1/4 tsp honey
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 - 1/4 tsp sea salt





1. Combine the flour, acid medium, oats, honey, melted oil, flax seeds, and 3/4 cup warm water in a large bowl. Mix, cover, and let soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours. DO NOT SOAK IN BREADMAKER! You will destroy the finish.




2. After soaking, in a separate bowl, combine yeast, 1/4 tsp honey, and 2 tbl warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes or so, until fully proofed. (proofing means to let it foam and approx double in size)


3. Place your soaked mixture in your breadmaker pan, add your proofed yeast, and salt. Select the wheat setting on your machine and choose your desired crust and push start!


Should you choose to do this by hand, follow the instructions found here: Passionate Homemaking Whole Wheat Bread. Keep in mind, hers is a bit different than mine.

4. When the breadmaker is done, take out the bread and let it cool on a rack. (this keeps the crust from getting soggy.)


4 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely blog! Great post, great pictures. Keep up the good work! And thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment...I am going to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was going to follow you, but something is going on with the "follow" button thingey...I will come back later and try again, though. Bookmarking you!

    Grace and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, I hope you do try to make some bean balls, they are so fun! I have a breadmaker and I am dying to try this recipe out-thanks for the tip on soaking, I had no idea!! I was going to follow you, but bloggers being weird-I'll come back!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I so appreciate you checking me out. Blogging is addicting! Not sure what's up with blogger... it's been having issues with the follow button lately. :(

    ReplyDelete